Simplicity at Home: Japanese Rituals, Recipes, and Arrangements for Thoughtful Living (Hardcover)
A gorgeous guide to creating a beautiful, comfortable home based on Japanese traditions from the founder of the beloved lifestyle brand Fog Linen Work.
For anyone who dreams of a home filled with well-organized closets, eye-catching flower arrangements, perfectly draped blankets, and thoughtfully curated shelves, here is a guide to cultivating an elegant home.
Yumiko Sekine, founder of the internationally celebrated lifestyle brand Fog Linen Work, shares lovely rituals and simple techniques based on Japanese traditions, including practices for decorating, organizing, preparing food, and more. From the kitchen to the bedroom and every space in between, here are tips for refreshing a home each season—arranging and displaying fresh flowers in spring, choosing the right sheets and linens for summer, taking warm herbal baths in autumn, and draping blankets and layering rugs to cozy up a space for winter. Brimming with easy-to-follow tips for elevating any space and packed with hundreds of photographs showcasing gorgeous interiors, this book is an invitation to create a home that nourishes, rejuvenates, and inspires—all year long.
• CELEBRATED AUTHOR: Yumiko Sekine is the founder of Fog Linen Work, a Japanese home goods brand sold throughout the world and beloved by home cooks, interior decorators, and design enthusiasts. Her products are known for their simplicity, beauty, and ability to elevate any space. In this book, Sekine distills all her secrets to creating a home that exudes simple elegance.
• ORGANIZATION MADE EASY: This book gives readers easy, elegant ways to declutter their homes and organize their belongings, whether they live in an apartment or house, and includes simple tips for tidying and curating objects to bring order and simplicity to every room.
• JAPANESE TRADITIONS: Yumiko presents Japanese traditions for preparing food, arranging flowers, entertaining, organizing, and more. The combination of ancient practices and modern techniques makes this the perfect companion for anyone curious about Japanese culture and aesthetics.
• GIFT WORTHY: Presented in a linen-wrapped case and brimming with hundreds of gorgeous photographs and inspired advice for every home, this book is a perfect addition to any bookshelf and a lovely gift for new homeowners, newlyweds, and fans of organization and interior design.
• Interior designers, minimalists, and fans of sustainability
• People who are into organizing their space
• Fans of Fog Linen Work
About the Author
Yumiko Sekine is the founder of Fog Linen Work, a home goods brand sold throughout the world. Her products, including linen housewares, clothing, and objects for everyday living, are celebrated for their simple elegance and beauty. She is based in Tokyo.
Jenny Wapner is a lifestyle and cookbook editor and writer based in California.
"We're grateful to Yumiko Sekine of Fog Linen for introducing us to a new world of quietly beautiful household and clothing essentials from Japan. At Remodelista, we've all incorporated her subtle, refined, unshowy, and eminently useful pieces into our everyday lives. Now, in Simplicity at Home, we get a further glimpse into her design philosophy and her devotion to sustainability and slow living-plus a first look at her enchanting new Tokyo home."-Julie Carlson, Editor-in-Chief, Remodelista
"As a longtime fan of Yumiko's and a loyal customer of Fog Linen Work, I am thrilled for this book. These pages synthesize the minimal, beautiful, and gentle philosophy that drew me to her work to begin with. At a time when the world feels chaotic, Yumiko's Japanese rituals and ideas bring calmness and purpose."-Aran Goyoaga, author of Cannelle et Vanille
"It is a lovely tribute to what its author describes as 'joyful minimalism'." - Food52
"Sekine's approach to repurposing old objects-which she applies to linens and broken dishes-are great for the green-minded. Perfect for fans of Marie Kondo, these tips will delight readers with a less-is-more mindset." - Publishers Weekly
"Yumiko has been a part of my home for the better part of a decade-and it's more than just her Fog Linen Work towels, aprons, and napkins. It's her sensibility, captured beautifully in this book. Simplicity at Home embodies the idea that a pared down life of intention leaves space for all sorts of moments, magic, and rituals to be explored."-Heidi Swanson, author of Super Natural Cooking